Winter wonderland

Saturday, February 4, 2012

We are having some really funny weather in Sarajevo. It has been snowing nearly non-stop and the city is almost completely paralyzed. Of course, the people are loving it - many were out today (literally) playing in the snow. Traffic has stopped, the air is cleaner, and everything is more quiet and peaceful.

I really love that about snow, the absence of sounds outside while it falls down - as if the time itself stops.

Sadly, I have not been cooking at all in the past week due to a cold I have been battling. This morning I gathered the strength to go in and prepare a hearty breakfast for us: yummy vanilla pancakes served with bananas and corn syrup; veggie sandwiches with American cheese, cherry tomatoes, arugula, pepper, cream cheese, and red onion, squeezed inside a halved baguette; oatmeal, my way: Greek yoghurt + Bosnian yoghurt, cinnamon, raisins, raw sunflower seeds, cranberries, and plain oatmeal; and finally, a vitamin C rich fruit salad with red and white grapefruit, kumquat, lime, oranges, and pomegranate.

Plus milk and/or hot summer savory tea.


I love these types of rich and colorful breakfasts, replete with different aromas and tastes. They are fun to prepare, to serve and to eat - different smells and colors are truly pleasing to the senses.

And I think it all goes really well with the all-white weather outside.


With this cold it is very likely that I won't be able to enjoy the snow like most of the people, but with little to do around the house I hope I will spend more time in the kitchen and with my camera.

I missed it.

If you're in Sarajevo, Bosnia, or if it simply snows where you live, enjoy it, stay warm, eat well, and, if you see someone cleaning snow off their roadway - help them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment